Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
Home Print this page Email this page
Users Online:: 1022
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2010  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 92-97

Qt interval prolongation in patients with hypertensive heart disease


Department of Medicine, Bayero University/ Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
K M Karaye
Department of Medicine. Bayero University/ Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital PO Box 4445, Kano
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id


Rights and Permissions

Background: The study assessed the prevalence of QT interval prolongation and identified its associated factors Methods: The study was cross-sectional in design. Subjects confirmed on echocardiography to have HHD were recruited consecutively from 3 echocardiography laboratories in the Kano City, Nigeria, over 7 months. Prolonged QTc was defined as QTc > 440 ms in males and > 460 ms in females, or more than 500ms in both sexes in the presence of complete bundle branch block. A p-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: A total of 113 patients were recruited consecutively, and 32 of them (28.3%) had prolonged QTc, while the remaining 81 (71.7%) had normal QTc. Patients with prolonged QTc had significantly higher prevalence of moderate-severe dyspnoea and peripheral oedema, higher mean heart rate, shorter PR interval, larger left atrium and left ventricle (LV), worse LV systolic and diastolic functions, and higher prevalence of eccentric LV geometric pattern. Conclusion: This study demonstrated high prevalence of prolonged QTc in patients with hypertensive heart disease. Affected patients had significantly higher prevalence of several factors associated with increased morbidity and mortality. Assessment of QTc is recommended for risk stratification in patients with HHD.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed184    
    Printed5    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded30    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal