Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
Home Print this page Email this page
Users Online:: 583
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 17  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 83-86

A descriptive study on dengue fever reported in a Medical College Hospital


Department of Community Medicine, Department of Community Medicine, M.O.S.C Medical College, Kolenchery, Ernakulam District, Kerala State, India

Correspondence Address:
Jimmy Antony
M.O.S.C Medical College, Kolenchery, Ernakulam, Kerala - 682 311
India
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/1118-8561.140285

Rights and Permissions

Background: Dengue fever is a serious public health problem in terms of its morbidity and mortality. It reports from almost all countries and it is endemic in the tropical countries. Aim: The present hospital study aims to describe  the frequency , distribution and case fatality of dengue fever based on the variables such as age, sex and year. Settings and Design: It is a hospital-based retrospective study of 5 years in tertiary care and teaching hospital in South India. Materials and Methods: The data were collected from the medical records department of the hospital and analyzed by using Microsoft excel. Result: Out of 341 reported cases of dengue, 60.70% were males and 39.29% were females. In both males and females, the high proportion of cases were reported in adult age groups (>20 years). Case fatality rate of dengue fever is 1.2%, with 0.97% in males and 1.49% in females. Out of 341 cases, 333 (97.65%) were Classical Dengue Fever and remaining 8 cases (2.34%) were dengue hemorrhagic fever. Conclusion: More cases of dengue fever were reported in the adult age group (20 years and above) and in males compared to low age groups (<20 years) and females. It highlights the involvement of work component in the occurrence of disease. Community-based action program is required for source reduction activities in the outdoor area for arresting the breeding and multiplication of Aedes mosquitoes and thereby to reduce the morbidity and mortality of dengue fever.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed11736    
    Printed141    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded809    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal